Tuesday, June 25, 2013

C is for Curriculum

C is for Curriculum

When God speaks to me, He speaks LOUDLY!  Meaning, when I asked Him for clarity, he led me to the curriculum I needed to use for the boys.  I was unable to sleep for more than a few hours per day for a little over a week, I feel this was how God spoke to me.  (No, I don't believe he will come down from Heaven and tell me what to do.  I feel like he does have a hand on everything we do and if you ask, He will guide you toward the answer He is going to give you.)  Now, He may change His mind later down the road, and He will let me know, I am sure of that.  But for now, He has guided me to the following curriculum:

Nic:
Math:  Math U See Alpha
Science: Apologia Astronomy (done together with Max)
Reading:  Drawn Into the Heart Level 2
Writing:  All About Spelling (we will quickly work through level 1 and move on) I Can Write (Christian Light), Writing Strands 2, New American Cursive
History:  Mystery of History 1 (done together with Max)

Max:
Math:  Math U See Gamma
Science:  Apologia Astronomy (done together with Nic)
Reading:  Drawn Into the Heart Level 3
Writing:  All about Spelling(we will quickly work through level 1 and move on), Writing with Ease, Writing Strands 3
History:  Mystery of History 1  (done together with Nic)

And here is my game plan.  In order to NOT give my husband a heart attack when the credit card comes in, and to ease the boys into homeschool, I have decided to order one subject per month.  Yes, that will mean every subject will have a different ending date, and I'm fine with that.  I also have decided when a subject has been completed, we will take a few weeks off from that subject and then start the next level.  This way we are always moving forward.

Yes, I know I am heavy on the writing, but I have noticed that when my boys were in private school, they were not given the opportunity to explore their creative sides.  So, I want to get their minds working towards writing excellent papers on any subject.  I had a practice reading comprehension sheet for my 3rd grader the other day.  He was to read a story, and then write his own story using certain words.  Well, he read perfectly but when it came to writing a story, he shut down.  I tried to give him suggestions.  He wrote 1 sentence, that is it.  He had no imagination what so ever.  He could not think of anything.  So, I know the second grader is going to be harder to get to comprehend anything or be creative.

So far, we have Math in house.  I started with this subject because the second grader struggles so much in this subject.  And then the third grader was complaining that he didn't have any math , so I ordered his as well.

I've just ordered History, and let me tell you, I think I am more excited about history than they are.  I want to learn the Biblical history along side the secular history.  I've learned both, but in separate places (church & school), so I've never really put the two together.  HOW EXCITING!!!!!  It should be in this week.  I told the kids that we may not start it this week because I have to look through it and plan it all out and gather supplies, but I am ready to start asap.


Have a great day!  May God bless each & every one of you!
Sherie

No comments:

Post a Comment