Wednesday, June 26, 2013

D is for Death

D is for Death

And boy have we experienced a lot of it lately.  I feel like we have been living at a hospital or funeral home for a year.  Not really, just a couple of months, but it feels like a year.  And it hasn't ended.

First of all, back on April the 14th my Great Aunt fell at home and busted her head and broke her wrist.  Thank goodness my cousin was there visiting, because a few days later, we found out that she had broken an artery in her head and if my cousin wasn't there, she would have bled out.  Then, on the 18th my middle child had a hearing appt. in the building next to the hospital where my aunt was and so we decided to walk over.  Well, when my mom got there from work, my aunt was unresponsive.  They finally got her to rouse up after several hours of working with her.  They moved her to ICU and told us that they had given her too much medication.  Well, she got out of the hospital on the 22nd and moved to rehab.  She was there for a few weeks and they had to transport her back to the hospital on the 13th of May because she was unresponsive again.  This time, they said she was toxic (had a build up of meds in her system).  She was released back to rehab on the 17th of May.  On the 18th, my mom was called at work and told they were transporting her to a different hospital because she was unresponsive and they were afraid she was having a stroke.  Sure enough, she had a MAJOR stroke and lost every bit of function on her right side.  She lost the ability to speak, eat, move her arm or leg, she became blind in her right eye, all from a stroke.  Well, she had signed a living will and so we had to move her to a Hospice facility where the staff was awesome.  They kept my aunt comfortable until she passed on June the 6th.  Funeral was on the 9th.

Now, lets back up here.  On May the 5th we received a phone call that my husband's grandmother in AR passed away.  Thankfully, Grandma's funeral wasn't until Saturday the 11th.  So, that week was filled with making sure we were ready to go.  My oldest's birthday was the 9th, she had her AP exam on the 10th.  And Mother's Day was on the 12th.  We left for our 12 hour trip as soon as she got done (1:00 ish).

And finally, I have another great aunt that is on her deathbed.  The nurses didn't expect her to make it through the weekend, but she did.  But, from what we have been told, she is deteriorating quickly.  So, another funeral is on the calendar, just not sure what date yet.

I am ready to get back to a normal schedule.  I wouldn't have been anywhere else besides where we were, but I'm ready for normal.  We had 1 day of normal yesterday.  Today, we were extremely busy doing something for my mom.  I'm hoping tomorrow will be a normal day again.

God Bless you all!
Sherie
*Update:  My great aunt passed away this morning before I could post this.

No comments:

Post a Comment