Monday, June 1, 2015

The Past is Repeating Itself




I think I learn more than my children do in history class every day.  LOL!  Honestly, we didn't learn this stuff in public school 30 years ago.  I don't even think we would have learned it in the Christian school I went to before the public school. 

I love Mystery of History!  It brings the secular world and the Christian world together in ways that you can't get from "real school" (as my kids call it).

This particular lesson has shed light on a subject that is in the forefront of newscasts today.  Lesson 50 of book 2 of Mystery of History is about the Coptic Orthodox Church.  I know, I know, you are thinking, that is not at the forefront of newscasts today......

But, this is.

Did you know that "in 642 the Arabs invaded Egypt with such fierceness that they almost obliterated the Copts?  The muslims made it difficult to NOT convert to Islam."  Is this starting to sound familiar now?

Back then, if you did not convert to Islam, then you were taxed at a MUCH higher rate.  So high that the families that chose this barely made it, and a lot didn't make it.  They starved to death.

Fast Forward to 2014, well before that, but last year we started seeing reports on the news of beheadings and killings because Christians were not converting to Islam.  Children being cut in two because they would not bow down to Mohammed.

Have you ever learned about this time in history?  Its not in any of the history books that I ever remember studying.


No comments:

Post a Comment