Monday, March 4, 2013

1 John 1:9

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

THE BIRTHDAY CAKE!

Ok, I have a confession to make.  I have never made a birthday cake in my entire life.  But, my middle child had picked out what he wanted back in August of last year, and he has not forgotten.  So, who am I do deny him the pleasure of getting exactly what he wanted.  So, I set out to make the cake.

So, once again I used the recipe from the icecream cupcakes.  Well, little did I know that this is a pound cake and it doesn't "fluff" up like a box cake.  So, I had to make more and more cakes to make it like I wanted.  I would not recommend this cake recipe for a birthday cake again.  When the next birthday cake comes around, I WILL be using a new recipe.

So, anyway, I made a Double batch for the sheet cake on the bottom.  Then, 2, 8" round cakes for the top.  Then, I ran out of butter...........  I still needed buttercream icing.  Well, you can't make butter cream icing without butter, so I sent my sweet hubby to the store to get me LOTS more butter.

Here is the recipe for the butter cream icing.  It was really good!

1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks or 1/2 pound), softened (but not melted!) Ideal texture should be like ice cream.
3-4 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar, SIFTED
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
up to 4 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
 
Directions:
Beat butter for a few minutes with a mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and turn your mixer on the lowest speed (so the sugar doesn’t blow everywhere) until the sugar has been incorporated with the butter. Increase mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract, salt, and 2 tablespoons of milk/cream and beat for 3 minutes. If your frosting needs a more stiff consistency, add remaining sugar. If your frosting needs to be thinned out, add remaining milk 1 tablespoons at a time.
 
So, I made a batch of white and iced the bottom layer.  Then, I made the red and iced the round cakes.  Then, I purchased some all red M & M's, and a bag of all white M & M's, and then just a small bag of regular M & M's.  I placed each and every M & M on that cake.
 
And here is the results of the cake.  My son LOVED it, so that is all that matters!
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment