Monday, July 15, 2013

Realistic Homeschooling

I am starting a series today called Realistic Homeschooling.  It will be my journal of the ups and downs of homeschool.  As I was bouncing around the web, there are so many websites, blogs, etc. that are so peppy and happy ALL of the time.  Well, let me be one of the first to tell you, ITS NOT ALWAYS PEPPY AND HAPPY, IN FACT SOMETIMES ITS VERY VERY VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!!!

Yes, I have just started homeschooling and Yes, I am already experiencing the frustrations.  Would I change anything?  Nope!  I am learning my kids inside and out.  We just work through the frustrating parts.

Last Monday, was probably the hardest day so far.  I know I will be comparing all of our frustrating days to that one from now on.  My youngest woke up (granted it was the day after the long 4 day Fourth of July weekend) that morning screaming at me, "I DO NOT WANT TO DO SCHOOL!"  To my response of, "TOO BAD, WE ARE DOING SCHOOL!  NOW GET OVER IT!" 

Well, that day it took him 5 hours to get through 2 math worksheets.  And the math worksheets were not even that hard.  He had to write 1-100 twice and skip count by 10's twice.  Big whoop!  FIVE HOURS of me saying, "Do your work!" over and over and over and over again.  I prayed, I walked out of the room, I sat beside him, I sat across from him, I walked outside.  He got under my skin so bad, and I could not hide it.  He FINALLY got done with math.  But, he still had Calendar work, Reading, and History to do.  Needless to say, we got done with school just in time for me to start cooking supper.  Did I mention that I haven't even done any of MY work yet?  In case you don't know, I own my own tax and bookkeeping business.  And this was a particular week that was going to be super busy with business stuff to do.  I think I got to work on my work at 7:30 that night.
                                                  (this is how I found him at one point)

Tuesday, was close to as frustrating, but not as quite because he actually got his work done 30 minutes before I needed to start supper.  Then, I got to my work around 7:30 again that night.  Wednesday, was better again.  It was about an hour before starting supper when he got done that day.  Thursday, we take off because I have to go around and do payroll for all of my clients.  Then Friday he wakes up, EARLY and in a great mood.  He got all of his work done in 2 hours.  I almost fainted.  And we didn't skimp on anything.  He had just woke up with his mind going in the right direction and got it done.

Now, you would think after all of this talking about one child, that that is all I have.  NOPE!  I have 3 kids.  My daughter is 17.  She is a senior in public school and doing great!  I homeschooled her from 5th - 7th.  She then went to public school because she had gotten too advanced for me.  I didn't understand virtual school back then.  She is doing phenomenal in school.  She is taking honors, AP, or dual enrollment in almost all of her classes and making A's and B's in all of them too.  So, I guess my homeschooling worked out.  Then I also have an 8 year old and he is advanced for his age/grade.  His favorite show is Mythbusters.  He is constantly watching it on Netflix and he doesn't care if he has already watched it, he will watch it a million times.
                                                                       (All 3 kids)
My daughter is volunteering this summer at Hospice. I am so proud of her, not many teenagers would do something like that.  She plans on going to college to be a nurse practitioner once she graduates next June.

My 8 year old gets up, gets a bath, eats breakfast and gets to work.  He is usually done and waiting on his brother to do History together.  I have not (yet) had any problems with him complaining about school.  Well, the only complaint is, its too easy.  Like I said, we have just started.  I told him that in math, I had to pick a place where I thought he was.  Now, we will have to get through the stuff he already knows to get to harder stuff.  I chose Math U See for math for both boys.  I had good success with my daughter using it, and the youngest is definitely a hands on learner.  So, I figured lets do it for both.  My 7 year old is in the Alpha level.  My 8 year old is in the Gamma level.  We are doing 2-3 worksheets every day on this easy stuff, just to get through it.  Then, we will slow down and do 1 worksheet per day.  So, some weeks he may have 2 tests, other weeks, just 1.  It all depends on how fast we move through it.
(My 8 year old working hard.  You would think the 7 year old was working hard too, but no he was still goofing off.)

God Bless you all!
Sherie

No comments:

Post a Comment